November 2014 – March 2015.
While we stayed in Stuart at my folks’ house, our boat lived ten miles up US-1 at the Sunset Bay Marina. Blue Wing was hanging from a mooring ball. Most days I would row out to Blue Wing, who was hanging on her mooring ball, to work on projects.
I did a LOT of cleaning. I went over most of the inside with white vinegar, which helps keep mildew away. And in the lower compartments I cleaned the fiberglass with acetone. I cleaned the engine with brake cleaner. I removed the heat exchanger and cleaned, primed and painted it.
I worked a lot on wiring also. I moved wires up out of the lower compartments. Then I fiber-glassed the wiring holes between compartments so each storage area would be watertight.
I also chased down some wiring problems. Our portside cabin lights had all quit working. And so had our forward running lights. The wires for all these were strung down the port side where the hull and deck join. They were tucked up into a slot and screwed down tightly. Many junctions were just taped together instead of joined with waterproof marine connectors.
I’m pretty sure the Catalina worker who ran the wires got an employee of the month award for saving wire. (He probably saved pennies per boat.) His efforts made it harder for me to trace wires and do testing, though. (At one point Duwan shoved our phone up into an inaccessible spot and took a pic. That’s the only way we could identify wire colors.) I ended up replacing a few sections, using marine connections, and leaving loops of slack wire to make any future efforts easier.
Enjoy the pics.