Here’s a ‘before’ picture of the cruddy stanchion base. It has been unbolted and lifted off the deck. We found it best to have Duwan use a wrench on the nuts from below, while I put all my weight on the phillip’s screwdriver from above.
March 30 – April 5.
Duwan has this odd idea that all water should stay on the outside of our boat. I agree, in principle. But when we’re sailing along in high winds with the rails under water some of it’s going to sneak in. Or, like when it rains really really hard. Anyway, however water gets in, we’ve both gotten tired of sleeping on wet sheets. Time to re-bed all the deck hardware and close up those leaks.
The standard way to re-bed deck fittings is outlined by boat maintenance expert Don Casey. He recommends removing, cleaning, and forming a gasket with some non-silicone material like Life Caulk. Then you tighten down the fitting finger-tight and let the caulk cure (for up to a week). Then you tighten completely, supposedly making a compressed water-tight seal.
I don’t like the caulk. It’s hard to work with, and once you open a tube you should use it all quickly. And we have at least 25 of these to do, at the rate of three or so per day. We’re going with a different method I found on-line.
Here’s the base with all the silicone and rust cleaned off. I used this drill bit to counter-sink the bolt holes a bit, bevelling in the sides.
After clean-up I covered the seat with butyl “tape”. It comes on a roll like tape. But it handles like a kneaded eraser or plumber’s putty.
When you tighten down the bolts the butyl oozes out in a satisfying way. It’s supposed to fill all the gaps in the deck’s texture, and fill in the new bevels in the bolt holes, making a nice water-tight seal.
“After” pic with the excess butyl trimmed away.
We also had leaks around our mast. Here we see how it looks under the mast “boot”. Our mast goes through the deck and is stepped below at the top of the keel. On the deck is a metal collar. Wooden wedges are driven between the mast and collar. Then the collar is covered with a mast boot to keep water out.
Here all the old junk is torn away. I’ve counter-sunk the bolt holes. Rolling out some butyl now to seal around the holes.
Bolts are tightened down; butyl has oozed out; Wedges are driven in to secure the mast in place.
And here’s the new boot made with super flexible 4 inch tape. The tape welds itself together for a water proof seal .
Enough with the projects. Here’s couple of the nice dolphins that buzzed our boat in Marine Stadium. One morning we had so many the air was filled with the sound of dolphins breathing. This got all dogs in the anchorage pretty excited.